Built in 1907, originally known as Johnson Armory, Johnson Gymnasium is one of the most historic places on the Shattuck-St. Mary's campus. Designed by Cass Gilbert, who would later go on to design the Minnesota capitol building, Johnson Armory included a two-story gymnasium with a shooting gallery as well as a swimming pool. The Johnson Armory was named in memorium to Samuel S. Johnson, who sent both of his sons S. Orie '1898 and W. Paul '1907 to Shattuck.
It has served as a drill hall for the Crack Squad and Wooden Soldiers as well as the home of the boys and girls basketball teams. It also houses the entire student body on special days such as Hands Across Faribault and the opening school ceremony.
Johnson Gymnasium is located in Johnson Armory on the east end of the Shattuck Campus.
1000 Shumway Avenue
Faribault, MN 55021